Stories - Part 3 - Fun Facts about the Cadillac (unedited version)
Hello from the Cadillac with the Tiger in it (Part 3 Fun Facts about the Cadillac)
• My Year, Make & Model: 1978 Cadillac Sedan Deville
• My name: "the Cadillac"
• The Tiger's name: "Tiger"
• Engine: 425 8 cylinder
• Mpg: City 10-12 Highway: 18-20
• Color: Pistachio Green w/White Vinyl roof
• Mileage: Approximately 450,000 (odometer stopped working at 207,362 about 20 years ago) This is almost the distance to and from the earth and the moon.
• Purchased in 1992 for $450
• Current owner is the 3rd owner
• All mechanical equipment has been replaced at least once except the engine and timing chain
• 1st came to East 2nd Street in 1992 when the black locust trees bloom in the cemetery
• Maximum Capacity ---this is a tie between two memorable rides: The first was the day that my owner put a life-size stuffed thoroughbred prop horse in the back seat. He and a petite Japanese female friend were struggling with it when a homeless guy came by and said "Here's how you put a horse in the back seat of a cadillac" (He got it in and it's head stuck out the window)
The other time was when my owner gave 12 drag queens a lift from Lucky Cheng's to a gay club somewhere around First Avenue and 57th St? (this was years before smart phones so there is, unfortunately, no photo documentation of this ride)
• Notable Road trips:
Gloucester, MA 1992 Whale Watching
Detroit 1999 Last season for Tiger Stadium/Heidelberg Project/Zug Island (where they filmed "Robocop")
Memphis 1999 Graceland/Sun records/Civil Rights Museum
Philadelphia: My owner dropped a colleague off at a swank hotel
And wore a chauffeur’s cap
New Orleans (4 times---had to have lunch at Ugelsich's)
South of the Border---everyone stops there at some point
Pensacola, FL (Almost marooned in a sand dune/very unwise decision by my
owner to attempt to drive me on the beach)
Pittsburgh, PA (Hundreds of times)
• Most memorable road trip moment: Crossing the state line into Alabama while
my owner sang the line from Neil Young's song, "Alabama": "...Your cadillac has got a wheel in the ditch and a wheel on the track....." until his cat pawed him in the face to get him to shut up
• Estimated number of photos taken of me by passersby each week: 350-650
• Most mysterious photographer: A woman who took one photo of me every day for a year and then she vanished
• The Tiger decided to get a gold leash when the Lorde song, “Royals”,
• Vandalism damage to car while parked on East 2nd Street 1992 to 2011: $0
• Vandalism damage to car while parked on East 2nd Street 2011 to present: $1,900
• Vandalism damage since the tiger has been in the front seat: $0
• Largest response by NY City agencies: Easter morning 2014:
4 fire trucks, 3 police cars & 12 police men responding to a call from someone
on the block that I had been leaking gasoline. Summons and citations as a result of this call: 0 Cost to taxpayers: ?
• Date of retirement: Coming soon. The black locust trees bloomed two weeks ago.